Thursday, July 28, 2011

2012 Volkswagen Eos Komfort, an AutoWeek Drivers Log Car Review:








By JON WONG on 7/22/2011



EXECUTIVE EDITOR ROGER HART: I really dislike labeling a car masculine or feminine, but I really came away feeling that this 2012 Volkswagen Eos is a perfect car for a female. Maybe it has to do with all the rounded, curvy styling features and the lack of any real excitement when you step on the throttle. Maybe a manual gearbox would help give the Eos a more sporting attitude?


The top operation is straightforward, but without any rear wind deflector, there was quite a bit of movement from back to front. The pop-up front deflector does make quite a bit of difference in the amount of wind that buffets front-seat passengers.


While I didn't dislike my time in the Eos, I could never imagine owning one.


EDITOR WES RAYNAL: So the Eos gets the facelift the Jetta got with the more horizontal grille--I liked the old chrome front end better.


I do like the powertrain a lot—I've written volumes on how good I think this VW Group 2.0-liter turbo four is--and with the top up, the car is quiet. I was impressed with the lack of chassis shake. It's perfect for cruising but not necessarily for flinging around. The cockpit is generic VW, with good build quality, fine materials and good ergonomics. Oh, and terrific seats.


The retractable hardtop cuts into the trunk and cramps rear passengers, but then, they all do.


I liked it better than I thought I would overall.


ART DIRECTOR CHERYL L. BLAHNIK: I was lucky enough to have two separate stints in this 2012 Volkswagen Eos, and I have to say that this is a cute little car. Top operation is easy enough that my four-year-old niece was able to lower it without any direction from me.


The interior design is simple, with plenty of legroom up front. Materials and the fit and finish are typical VW high quality. There's very little wind and road noise with the hardtop up, which I doubt would be the case with a conventional soft top.


On the road, the Eos handles well, but I wouldn't be against a little more power from the turbocharged four-cylinder to add to the fun factor. As Roger said, a manual gearbox may help give the car a more spirited feel.


2012 Volkswagen Eos Komfort


Base Price: $34,765


As-Tested Price: $34,765


Drivetrain: 2.0-liter turbocharged I4; FWD, six-speed dual-clutch sequential manual


Output: 200 hp @ 5,100-6,000 rpm, 207 lb-ft @ 1,800-5,000 rpm


Curb Weight: 3,569 lb


Fuel Economy (EPA/AW): 25/24.8 mpg


Options: None


 





AutoWeek loves passionate comments and debate, but remember that you're part of a diverse community. Above all: be respectful. Critique statements, not people; talk about the automotive world, but skip the political rhetoric, hate speech, and obscenities. While we can't read every post, this site is moderated and AutoWeek will remove comments as we see fit. Questions? Read our Terms of Use or email moderator@autoweek.com.






No comments:

Post a Comment