Friday, July 22, 2011

NASCAR: Bruton Smith fires back at Kentucky traffic criticism:







bruton smith kentucky track traffic. LAT PHOTOGRAPHIC
Kentucky track owner Bruton Smith says nearby Interstate 71 caused some of the traffic problems at the track last weekend.

By AL PEARCE on 7/16/2011



Shortly after NASCAR president Mike Helton took time on Friday to address last weekend's traffic and parking issues at Kentucky Speedway, track owner Bruton Smith met with the media at New Hampshire Motor Speedway. As usual, Helton was calm, measured and reasonable. And as usual, Smith was oft-time combative, flippant and full of bombast


Among his comments:


-- Smith said he was sincerely sorry about last weekend but added that nobody will get a cash refund for their unused tickets. Why is that? "Because we don't want to," he said defiantly.


-- He took aim at Michigan Speedway president Roger Curtis, who issued a statement criticizing Kentucky's lack of preparedness. “I was born and raised on a farm,” Smith said. “We had a young and frisky jackass, and I remember my dad saying, ‘That's the sorriest jackass we've ever had.' He got away and we never did recover him. I understand he's popped up in Michigan somewhere.


“I don't know what I would have done if one of my people had bad-mouthed Daytona because they had a [pothole] problem [during the 2009 Daytona 500]. That's not what we're about. I'd have a problem with one of my people doing that. I don't remember any of them [taking shots] when Bobby Allison tried to get into the grandstand at Talladega [in 1988].”


-- But given an opportunity to pop NASCAR, Smith couldn't resist. “I was watching something and it was referred to as 'dancing partners,' " he said. “Now, if you want to be critical of something, I'm critical of that. It took two cars to win a race. Now, if you've got to have dancing partners, then we have a different race. I'm asking NASCAR, let's go work on this car and let's stop this foolishness of having two cars, one pushing another one. That's not what we built this sport on. Let's see who can fix what first. I'm absolutely dedicated to fix the problems in Kentucky before the [Daytona Beach and Talladega racing] thing can be cured.”


-- Smith complained that Interstate 71 in Kentucky “sucked” and blamed the state's roads for causing the delays. On Friday, Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear told the Cincinnati Enquirer newspaper, “It looks like the road system worked adequately for getting cars to the track. In the end, the track just got overwhelmed with the number of cars they were trying to park.”


-- Smith said work has begun on improving traffic near the track. “Engineers have already engineered a [new exit], and I'm sure I'll be presenting that to the governor,” he said. “I'm sorry we had such traffic, although I had continuously warned people about that interstate. I told everybody who'd listen that I-71 sucked. It's terrible, the lousiest piece of interstate I've driven on. I was hoping it would get some attention. It maybe got a little, but it sure didn't get a lot. That's what we were dealing with. When we go back you'll find that maybe someone has done something about it.


“You've got to remember: We don't control traffic on that interstate. I have a meeting with the governor and a lot of his support people who'll be addressing all the problems created by whoever. I guess they were created because so many people were trying to get in and they were unable to do so. We know how to fix things. We know how to build things. I think we're guilty of building the finest speedways in this country, and we'll continue to do whatever it takes."


-- Smith once threatened to move Charlotte Motor Speedway to South Carolina if he didn't get his way with the City of Concord. It was a preposterous threat, silly on its face and one of the most amateurish, transparent bluffs of all time. Even so, the city caved and gave Smith what he wanted. Someone asked if Smith would take a date from Kentucky if the state doesn't help with traffic issues. His rather pointed answer? “Las Vegas, baby.”


When pressed on the matter he said: “I would not answer that at this time. I will wait until after my wonderful meeting with the governor and we'll go from there.”


-- Finally, even though he didn't offer any proof, Smith said the Quaker State 400 was the best-attended Cup event this season. Presumably, that meant more fans were there (or trying to get there) than the Daytona 500 or his company's other's spring/summer races at Las Vegas, Bristol, Texas, Charlotte and Sonoma. He said he didn't have an accurate ticket count, but repeatedly suggested 150,000 fans would have been there if they could have gotten in.


“I think most of the people in this [media] room realize that what we do is large,” Smith said. “And what we did up there last weekend on Saturday . . . you've heard of the Super Bowl and this and that, and they'll have 70,000 to 75,000 fans. Well, we had two Super Bowl crowds there.”


 





AutoWeek loves passionate comments and debate, but remember that you're part of a diverse community. Above all: be respectful. Critique statements, not people; talk about the automotive world, but skip the political rhetoric, hate speech, and obscenities. While we can't read every post, this site is moderated and AutoWeek will remove comments as we see fit. Questions? Read our Terms of Use or email moderator@autoweek.com.






No comments:

Post a Comment